Parents must not lose sight of why children participate in sport.
Having Fun Is The Reason
Studies show that the most popular reason for playing youth sports is to “have fun‟. The next most popular reasons for playing sport are to learn new skills, to be with friends and to experience the thrill of competition.
A Parent’s Role
Parents of Young Soccer Players Should …
• Listen to their children’s views about playing soccer
• Provide unconditional love during both successes and failures
• Help children understand that the definition of a good performance is giving one’s best effort
• Encourage the players to be self-reliant and to accept responsibility for their decisions/actions
• Encourage non-sport interests
• Allow their children to set their own standards of excellence
• Provide encouragement and hopeful optimism when needed by the youngster
• Emphasize enjoyment above all!
Maintain A Positive Attitude
In competition, someone always has to lose. If you win, do it gracefully, not boastfully. If you lose, do not allow yourself or your children to become negative.
Disagreements with coaches and officials do NOT belong on the soccer field. Questions, input, feedback, and opinions can all be voiced at an appropriate time and place, either with your coach, through the associations’ representatives or the VYS Technical Director and/or VP of House/Travel. Never in front of the players! Remember why you are here!