House soccer players, U8 and above, are given the opportunity to play at a more competitive level in an All Stars Tournament each Fall and Spring season.
All currently registered VYS House players are eligible to play if selected. No carded Travel Players can participate in these recreation-oriented tournaments.
If a coach wants to participate as an All Stars coach, he/she should fill out the All Stars Coach Application and send it to the VYS Administrator. The application will be forwarded to the appropriate division Commissioner. The Commissioner will make the decision on who will be that division’s All Stars coaches and assistant coaches. If you have any questions about All Stars, you may contact the VP of House Soccer.
The goals in the process of forming VYS All Star teams are the following:
(1) Select those VYS participants who have distinguished themselves by consistently displaying superior game skills, leadership and sportsmanship toward each other, the opposing teams, referees, and others involved in VYS; and
(2) Form All Star teams in a transparent manner that minimizes disappointment for the children.
Each child who has registered with VYS House Soccer during the regular season will be afforded the opportunity to be considered for the VYS-sanctioned All Star Tournaments in the area for U8 and above divisions. VYS will endeavor to form as many All Star teams as feasible in light of the availability of slots in tournaments and the number of qualified volunteer coaches. As a general rule of thumb, only about 20 percent of the children in any given age division will be selected to participate in the tournament.
The All Star season is in addition to, and not made part of, the regular House seasons. VYS supports and encourages player participation in All Stars tournaments each season. Such tournaments are highly competitive and, therefore, require a selection process for both players and coaches.
- VYS may sponsor at least one team from each age group to participate in an All Stars tournament at the end of the season.
- Anyone seeking to coach an All-Star team must submit an application to the VYS Administrator Mary Nunley, who shall notify VYS commissioners of all candidates. If a Commissioner is seeking to coach an All Star team, the VYS Administrator shall notify the VP of House.
- The process for selecting All Star players must be approved by the VP of House in advance of the All Stars season (see player selection process below).
- Each participating team shall bear costs or fees, reimbursable to VYS, which generally includes registration and uniforms.
- All Star team practices shall not interfere with, nor take priority over, regular House practices and games.
- Players’ passes are to be issued by the VYS Administrator.
- Tournament rules are to be determined by the club hosting the All Star tournament.
The formal player selection process should not begin prior to the All Star coaches meeting, which will typically be held in the fourth week of the House season. Player selection is ultimately the decision of the selected All Star coaches and the appropriate division Commissioner, subject to the following guidelines and consistent with demonstrating consideration of the feelings and best interests of the children.
It is to be understood that children demonstrating superior talent and skill, combined with traits of sportsmanship, fair play, honesty, leadership, dedication and coachability are the primary candidates for selection. Sportsmanship is a major part of any game and should be emphasized. All Star teams represent the entire VYS organization when participating in any endeavor, especially regional events such as All Star tournaments. Therefore, it is especially important that all VYS participants distinguish themselves by consistently displaying sportsmanship at all times -- during the VYS season as well as during the tournament.
- During at least the first four weeks of the House season, the Commissioners should obtain evaluations of opposing coaches as to those players that exhibited the highest levels of talent, skill and those traits set forth above.
- Commissioners should observe the players during House games in an effort to identify primary candidates for selection as All Stars.
- All Star coaches should observe the players during the course of regular season games.
- House coaches should nominate their own players that they believe merit consideration for selection as an All Star.
- Division Commissioners should endeavor to have one knowledgeable observer from outside the division evaluate the players and provide input.
The objective is for VYS to form its All Star teams by the end of the House season. In preparing for the tournament, House team practices will take priority over All Star team practices, should there be a conflict between the two.