The VYS Coaching Philosophy is centered on player development and can be characterized by 4 main components:
- Training and competition are age and ability based. At younger ages, the focus is on ball mastery. At older ages, decision making and problem solving as a team become important.
- Training is reality based. Does it look like soccer? Replicate problems players face in competition in a meaningful way during training.
- Learning is experiential. Do we encourage learning by doing? Create an environment where failure is allowed and utilized as a learning tool.
- Coaching is holistic. Are we incorporating all elements of the game in our teaching? Does our development path make sense?
VYS Coaching Style
- Prioritize the development of all players.
- Prioritize development over results.
- Create a fun and challenging environment.
- Be prepared and organized.
- Let players learn by doing.
- Let players learn from mistakes. (allow them!)
- Be specific and detail oriented in teaching moments. (demonstrate.)
- Emphasize decision making over outcomes.
- Be calm and composed so players can be calm and composed in execution.
- Provide regular constructive feedback, and be open and approachable.
- Share knowledge, and be eager to learn.
Check Out Other VYS Programs
The 2018 Spring House Program is open for registration! Register early and avoid the waitlist!
Winter Programs registration is open for our U4 - U12 house players. Sessions begin Jan 3. Space is limited. Register early to reserve your player's spot! View the complete schedule.