Make a difference in our community
Every season we seem to lose about a third of our referees for a variety of reasons. Are you asking, “Why?” Well, we are now asking, “WHY NOT develop a program which will encourage a high return with minimum turnover?” WHY NOT build a strong referee program by offering positive support to new and less experienced referees? WHY NOT provide opportunities to build strong character and leadership? And, why not do this right here in our community?
For the Referee Mentoring Program to work, we need experienced referees. We need referees with strong character and leadership to dedicate approximately four weeks of 3-4 hours each week to become Referee Mentors.
WE NEED YOU to help our youth by building a stronger soccer program in VYS.
Will you please help make a difference in our community?
What does a Referee Mentor do?
A Referee Mentor:
- will guide, coach, and train new referees for the first four weeks in the season.
- attends assigned game field for approximately 3-4 hours per week on Saturday.
- observes referees while they referee and offer suggestions, comments and instructions in a positive manner.
- is a resource person for new refs to ask questions and seek guidance.
- works with the VYS Referee Mentor Coordinator, to build a solid referee program through input and evaluations.
What are the benefits of being a Referee Mentor?
- By sharing your wisdom, you can contribute to building an overall stronger soccer program and support a critical area of need.
- Through your positive leadership, you can make a difference for the youth of our community.
- Your commitment will be rewarded through priority choice game assignments.
- VYS offers monetary incentive.
Please contact the Referee Mentor Coordinator for more information and to sign up now.