Travel Fees and Refund Policy
There are three types of fees to participate in the Vienna Youth Soccer (VYS) travel soccer program:
- Club Fees: These are centralized fees paid directly through the VYS registration system.
- Team Fees: These are individual team expenses not covered by the Club Fees and handled via a payment process determined by each individual team.
- Uniform Fees: These are fees to purchase the required VYS travel uniform kit; parents/guardians purchase the VYS uniform kit directly through www.soccer.com.
VYS Club Fees cover the following areas. These fees are paid through the VYS registration system at the start of the soccer year.
- VYS membership registration fee
- VYS coaching fees
- League fees
- Referee fees
- VYSA fees/Insurance, including staff and coach background checks
- Fairfax County player usage fees
- VYS administration costs, including staff compensation and operational costs
- Coaching education and licensure
- Technical staff gear and equipment
Individual team expenses are not covered by the VYS Club Fees. Team fees are determined by each individual team and the payment of these fees is handled by each team manager or team or academy treasurer. These fees are generally due at the beginning of the Fall season and the beginning of the Spring season.
Team fees typically include the following:
- Tournament entrance fees
- Tournament travel expenses for coaches (if applicable)
- Winter Indoor League Fees
- Team equipment (team bench, team tent, goalie equipment, etc.)
- All other fees not covered by the VYS Club Fee (patches, pins, team communication costs, etc)
Each VYS travel team player is required to have a basic VYS uniform kit. Uniform kits are purchased directly from soccer.com by the parents/guardians of each player. Costs vary depending if the full uniform kit or portions of the uniform kit is needed each year.
- Initial deposit of $400 due at time of registration (Non refundable)
- Installment # 1st - total fee minus $400.00 divided by 2.
- Installment #2 - total fee minus $400.00 divided by 2.
The VYS Travel Refund Policy defines the circumstances under which Vienna Youth Soccer (VYS) will grant a refund of VYS Travel Club fees. The Travel Refund Policy also outlines the steps that must be taken when requesting a refund of VYS Travel Club fees. It is important to note that this Policy does not address any other fees associated with VYS travel soccer (for example, team fees, uniforms, etc.).
The goal of the Travel Refund Policy is to ensure the continued financial solvency and efficient operation of VYS and its Travel teams and the fair and equitable granting of requested Travel Club fee refunds. By defining and sharing this policy, VYS strives to ensure that all VYS families understand the Travel Refund Policy before they commit to participate in the VYS Travel program.
The specific rules and procedures of the VYS Travel Refund Policy are based on comparable practices of neighboring Northern Virginia Travel soccer programs and are in line with what is considered reasonable and customary.
Travel Program Commitment
When a family accepts an invitation to join a VYS Travel team, they are making a commitment to the VYS Travel program for the 12-month soccer year, which generally runs from July 1st of one year through June 30th of the next year. The commitment is for this entire one-year period and not for a specific soccer season (Fall, Spring) or training period (Summer, Winter).
This yearlong commitment is important for two reasons:
- Each year, VYS incurs expenses and makes resource commitments based on the total number of Travel players who commit to the 12-month soccer year. Financial and resource commitments are made based on the number of families who accept the yearlong VYS Travel program commitment and many expenses are incurred in advance.
- In addition, team rosters are set at the beginning of each Travel soccer year and disruptions to those rosters have the potential to negatively affect the team as a whole and its individual players and families. Appropriate roster sizes are needed to maximize the development time for each and every player and to ensure that there are enough players on each team to sufficiently participate in training sessions, games and tournaments.
As an organization, VYS must work to maintain a predictable financial model and, equally important, a positive experience for every Travel player. To help ensure that these two goals are met, VYS will only grant refunds of the VYS Travel Club fee in clearly defined circumstances.
Any VYS Travel program family who meets one of the following criteria will be granted a pro-rated Travel Club fee refund:
Any VYS Travel program player whose parent or legal guardian is active duty military and receives orders to relocate outside of the VYS league playing area during the September through February timeframe is eligible for a pro-rated refund of the VYS Travel Club fees. Documentation of the relocation order is required to be submitted with the refund request.
Any VYS Travel program player who accepts an invitation to join a VYS Travel team that is unable to form a full roster and, therefore, is unable to participate in Fall league play is entitled to a 100% refund of any and all monies paid toward their annual VYS Travel Club fees, including the initial VYS Travel program deposit.
- Player injury (See injury policy below).
It is important to note the following:
The initial VYS Travel program deposit is non-refundable except in those instances when a VYS travel team is unable to form a full roster and, therefore, cannot participate in Fall league play. The Travel program deposit is paid at the time a player and a player’s family accepts an invitation to join a VYS Travel team and is used to “hold” that player’s roster spot and cover any additional expenses required to hold additional tryouts should players back out of their commitment.
In order to be eligible for any pro-rated refund of Travel Club fees, a family must be current on all payment obligations to VYS for all players (Travel program, House program, and any supplemental programs including summer camps).
Except in those cases where a player’s parent or legal guardian is in the active military, refunds are not given due to job relocations of a player’s parent or legal guardian.
No refunds or discounts of the VYS Travel Club fees are given for players who join the VYS Travel program after the initial Tryout period for a given soccer year and prior to November 15th of that year.
- Travel players who are invited and join the VYS Travel program on or after November 15th of the soccer year, are required to pay 60% of the annual VYS Travel Club fees for that year. Note there may be other fees that aren’t covered by this policy (for example, team fees, uniforms, etc.).
Active Duty Military
For active duty military families receiving relocation orders and requesting a refund of the VYS Travel Club fee, refunds are granted on a prorated basis as outlined below. All approved Travel program refunds will be paid via check within 15 days of the date of the refund request.
Approved refund requests that are submitted between July 1 and November 15 of the soccer year will be granted at 50% of the annual VYS Club fee for that soccer year.
Approved refund requests that are submitted between November 16 and February 1 of the soccer year will be granted at 25% of the annual VYS Club fee for that soccer year.
- No refunds will be granted if the refund request is submitted after February 1 of the soccer year.
Unable to Form a Travel Team
In the case of a family receiving a refund because VYS was unable to form a VYS Travel team, the entire Travel Program fee including the initial deposit will be refunded and paid by check or refunded by credit card within 15 business days of the date of the refund request.
In the event of an injury to a player, the Club may waive or refund Club Fees. Players are responsible for all Club Fees up until the injury occurred and a decision is made on a waiver or refund of Club fees. In order to qualify for a waiver or refund of Club fees:
- Any waiver of Club or Team Fees will only be considered upon delivery of a doctor’s note stating that a player will miss or has missed a minimum of three consecutive months during the June to September timeframe due to the injury.
- The player must be current with all Club and Team Fees.
- A player missing three (3) consecutive months of play during the September to June timeframe will be entitled to a waiver or refund equal to 15% of their annual Club Fees. Players missing two separate periods of no less than three (3) consecutive months of play during the September to June timeframe will be entitled to a refund of 30% of their annual Club Fees. Under no circumstances will an injured player be entitled to a refund greater than 30% of their annual Club Fees.
- All claims for waivers or refunds of Club or Team fees must be received by September 1st following the end of the seasonal soccer year in which the injury occurs.
NOTE: The Club can only refund or waive the Club Fees. Decisions regarding waiver or refund of Team Fees are at the discretion of the Team Manager and/or Team Treasurer.
Refund Request Process
All requests for a refund of the VYS Travel Club fees must be submitted in writing and must be signed by one or more of the player’s parents or legal guardians listed in their child’s (children’s) VYS registration record. A copy of the signed refund request must be submitted to the player’s Team Manager and the team’s Age Group Coordinator (AGC). The team’s AGC will forward the refund request to the Director of Coaching of the player’s age group. All refund requests must include supporting documentation as defined in the VYS Travel Refund Policy.
The Director of Coaching will forward the refund request and supporting documentation to the VP Travel, who will determine the refunded amount, if any, based on the VYS Travel Refund Policy. All approved Travel program refunds will be paid via check within 15 business days of the date by which the AGC received the refund request.
This VYS Travel Refund Policy has been approved by the VYS Board of Directors and is effective November 16, 2015.